May 9, 2013

My Kind of Weekend

This past weekend was one I have needed for a long time.

It was the kind that revives the soul.

I had been looking forward to the weekend for months because two major events were going down. I was going to get to hear my best friend, Jen Hatmaker speak, (she doesn't know we're best friends yet but I'm determined to make her understand that we're meant to be) AND get to witness my dear friend Kara marry the love of her life!

Coincidentally, both of these things took place at a church in our neighborhood so it was pretty convenient for a first time mom trying to get feeding schedules and babysitters and separation anxiety (for mom and baby) under control.

Friday night Ben came home and got set up for a date night with our boy, while I headed out for a much needed Chick fil a date with my Sarah :). After catching up, pouring our hearts out, laughing, and stuffing our faces, we headed to hear Jen speak.


Whoa.

I knew I was going to love Jen from reading her book, 7 and her blog, Jen Hatmaker but oh my gosh, she is on another level in person. I'm talking all ages, men and women, full on peeing in their pants laughing at her hilarious stories. My personal favorite was her comparison of trying to get out of spanx to cracking open a tube of biscuits.

Aside from her hilarious take on life, parenting, etc. I was blown away by her message about discipleship. I felt my heart coming so alive during her talk that night and I knew God was stirring something in me. Our group got to meet her that night and you would have thought we were teenage girls meeting Justin Bieber....I think Julia even interrupted her once and blurted out "I LOVE YOU" and turned away blushing...we totally blew it on the cool points.


The next morning after retelling Ben word for word the first sermon, Sarah and I headed out to meet the girls for the next session. Again, we sat under such relevant, convicting, and wise teaching. I feel so privileged to have been given the opportunity to hear her speak. She harped on the things Ben and I have been trying to sort out in our hearts for a long time and said something that has been ringing so true to us when she challenged us as believers to take our faith out of our minds and into our hands and feet. We have the unbelievable honor of being chosen to be disciples of Christ, the Rabbi whose yoke is easy and burden is light. As disciples, our lives and ministries should look like Jesus' did. I left asking questions like, "would people look at my life and know whose disciple I am?" "Does my heart break for what breaks Jesus'?" "What does it mean to be the hands and feet of Jesus?"
Thank you, Jen for speaking such truth and for challenging our family. We are excited about what God will do as a result of the things he is laying on our hearts!


After eating lunch, Caroline came to my rescue once again to help me with my appearance and to babysit for the night! Thank the Lord I have a sister who is so willing to help and is
so great with babies because I definitely would not have been able to enjoy my night without knowing that Liam was so well cared for.

Ben and Kara's ceremony was so special. Christ was so evident in every detail and I loved how the service so uniquely reflected so much about Ben and Kara as a couple. After the ceremony, we headed to the reception and it was so fun to be able to have sort of a built in date night for Ben and I while celebrating our friends marriage!









No comments:

Post a Comment